Sausage Roll Off
And the winner is...
Phil Harrison, chef at the Anglesea Arms, has been crowned winner of the Great Sausage Roll Off 2016!
The great British sausage roll is so much more than just the stalwart of the wedding buffet – and, since 2013, the Red Lion in Barnes has been giving this much overlooked buffet item the attention it deserves.
Phil defeated 18 other shortlisted chefs (including previous years’ winners) with his pheasant and black pudding sausage roll, accompanied by turnip dip. The competition, held on Wednesday 27th January, was open to chefs across the UK.
This year’s judging panel included Emma Spitzer [Masterchef 2015 Finalist], Thane Prince [Eat Judge on The Big Allotment Challenge], Tom Kemble [Head Chef, Bonhams Restaurant] and Kate Spicer [food critic]. Award-winning beer and food writer Melissa Cole was on hand to host the event.
Ollie Couillaud’s ‘The Lemmy’ sausage roll, featuring sage, garlic and onions cooked in Jack Daniels, came in a deserved second, while Fuller’s own Chef of the Year, Jade Clarke of the Hind’s Head, claimed third place with a daring Venison and wild mushroom creation.
Designed by a chef, for chefs, this competition looks for those who can add care, quality, expertise and that little extra ‘je ne sais quois’ to the most humble, but most British, of bar snacks.
In its fourth year, the Sausage Roll Off caused a buzz on social media, and raised over £400 for charity Shooting Star Chase.
The competition will be returning to the Red Lion next year, on 25th January 2017 – to enter get in touch via Twitter: @RedLionBarnes
2016's Shortlisted chefs
• Alec Tomasso, ‘The Weeping Chef’
• Eden Allsworth Representing East Kent College
• Johnnie Mountain
• Ollie Couillaud ,Co-owner, Sams Of Brighton
• Allan Picket, Piquet Restaurant, Newman Street
• Si Toft, The Dining Room, Abersoch, Wales
• Oliver Marlow, DM Group Pubs
• Sven Hanson-Britt, Miele Great Britain
• Alan Paton of Stoke By Nayland Hotel & Golf Resort, Suffolk
• Calum Franklin, The Holborn Dining Room
• Jade Clark, The Hinds Head Hotel, Aldermaston
• Jonathan Pellew, The Blue Boat, W6
• Kevin Jones, The Chamberlain Hotel, London,
• Matt Hill, Down Hall Country House Hotel, Bishop’s Stortford
• Phil Harrison, The Anglesea Arms, W6
• Rob Hunter, The Gun Docklands, Canary Wharf
• BNY Mellon John Grabecki, ‘Roll Off’ champion 2015
• Matt Hunter, The Star Inn the City, York
• Lehman Street Tavern (new Geronimo Inns site)
• MYPIE Pie Truck Owner & Chef Chris Brumby, ‘Roll Off’ champion 2014